Blog Demo Design by Britt Douglas. Powered by Blogger.

Christmas Decor

by - Sunday, December 20, 2009

I've managed to decorate a few more spaces in our home for the holidays. Good thing, with Christmas only 3 days away! Don't the days just seem to fly by at this time of year?



We moved things around in the living room to make space for the tree. Our Ikea sideboard ended up against a blank wall so I decided to make a little green, brown, and white woodland scene atop it. The little topiaries and reindeer were from President's Choice, the silver santa from Pottery Barn 10 years ago, and the owl from the William Ashley annual sale.



The branch candleholder was from HomeSense and looks very "West Elm-ish" don't you think? I filled out the gaps with pinecones, plastic crystal baubles, and some leftover brown ornaments. I dressed up a spare wreath with some green and brown ribbon and hung it on the wall. Putting the nail in the wall to hang the wreath was strangely satisfying. We haven't touched the living room since we moved in two years ago (that's the original wallpaper you see in the pic. Yuck.) so it felt good to hang the wreath and inject a bit of our personality into the space. How sad that sounds, lol!



And here's the tree. Its pretty neutral with splashes of green and blue. The tree is a 6.5' Nordman Fir which has a lovely light green colour and full branches. I always make the mistake of not putting enough lights on, so this year I strung about 800 of them on there!

I'm not entirely happy with the tree; its a work in progress. I like ribbon on a Christmas tree - but when I try putting it on, it ends up looking like a saggy crinkled mess... so we'll go without that this year. And I'd like a new tree topper and have yet to find that perfect tree skirt so we'll go without that too. I figure I'll be using the same decorations for at least the next decade so I have some time to get the tree just right ;)


And here is my favourite ornament! I wanted something to commemorate Chloe's first Christmas, and etsy seller SeptemberHouse came up with the perfect design. I sent her a photo of Chloe's polka dot red dress as inspiration (a dress I fell in love with and bought when I was seven months pregnant and didn't know if I was having a girl or a boy but felt like I was having a girl and anyway I had three months to return the dress if it turned out to be a boy, ha!) Its so cute. I love the little button closure with the red thread.


Its amazing how Christmas has taken on a different meaning now that we have a child. I've put a bit more effort into decorating and picking out special gifts, Chloe and I will be baking some treats tomorrow, and I'll be telling her stories about Jesus and Santa and the significance of the season. I can't tell you how lucky I feel to see Christmas again through the eyes of a child.


You May Also Like

4 comments