Blog Demo Design by Britt Douglas. Powered by Blogger.

The Basement: Pendant Lighting

by - Thursday, June 07, 2012

Once we had figured out the cabinetry layout, it became obvious to me that we had to rejig our lighting plan. I'd been planning to put our awesome harvest table that we found last summer...



...in front of the banquette. With the perspective drawing from The Home Depot, I could now see that the steel beam would be right over the table so a centre pendant wouldn't work. Instead, I would now have to have two pendants, one on either side of the beam. Double the fun!

I love looking for lighting. I think there are so many beautiful designs out there that can really add a nice sculptural, architectural detail to a room. Here's a few that have caught my eye.


  1. Graphic, black, modern. I like how this pendant looks against the more traditional elements of the room like beadboard and shaker cabinets. The black colour would really capture your eye against all the white in the room and would be a great focal point as you enter the basement. Janice installed similar looking lights in her all-white hallway and I think they look great.
  2. This globe light reminds me of the 1970's. Simple yet groovy, a pair of these would look like glowing orbs floating over the table. If I wanted the lights to fade a bit more into the surroundings, these might be a good choice.
  3. How about something more ornate? In brass, nonetheless! We've got a bit of a nautical vibe going on in the basement and the brass reminds me of shiny portholes and fancy handrails you'd find on a luxury ship.
  4. Keeping with nautical feel but maybe a bit more literal, is this striking pendant. I like the tiered design and the nice heavy weight of the pole.
  5. Of course I had to include the classic schoolhouse light on the list. Chloe and I will be doing a lot  of crafting in this area so this just feels right.
  6. Then there's this pendant which is a mix of modern and traditional. The big glass shade should provide lots of light. The thick hardware keeps it from looking too skimpy. Maybe we'd get the best of both worlds with a transitional light like this?
What do you think? Anything stand out as a favourite? Have you come across any other lights I should add to the list?

You May Also Like

0 comments